Thursday, March 11, 2010

Låt den rätte komma (Let the Right One in)


I'll get this out of the way: I despise the way modern culture has treated vampires as of late; whether it be the  Twilight series or the seemingly never-ending list of shows on television, Hollywood has turned a once badass and awesome creation into a little thumb-sucking douche bag on par with Nickleback. I don't care if you're Edward Cullen, The Vampire Diaries, or Vampire Weekend; if you're involved with vampires, I hate you. Except everyone else seems to love them, and you pull out your hair just trying to figure out why. Then comes Låt den rätte komma in, or Let the Right One In. It is a Swedish film that was released two years ago, involves vampires, and is severely under-appreciated.

This is the best vampire movie I have seen since From Dusk Till Dawn (although it is drastically different). This film is about a young boy who often gets bullied (rightfully so, talk about a pansy). He meets a girl whom he falls in love with. Turns out, she is a vampire. And she could probably take on an army of glittering Edwards, Jacobs, whatever. The movie is surprisingly violent and gory for a movie involving an 11 year-old protagonist, and ass-kissing aside, it is just awesome. It's not all just bloodshed though; the love story between the two children here is more emotionally engaging than most adult love stories I have seen, and I absolutely resent child actors (I'll get to that hate-fest another time). My point is, even if you have loathed vampires lately like I have, you will probably still enjoy this. So if you haven't seen it yet, do yourself a favor and, uh, see it. Yes, it is in subtitles, so suck it up (awesome pun intended). I mention this because it seems the movie hasn't been entirely overseen, as there will be an American remake of it entitled Let Me In. It will be directed by Matt Reeves, who more recently helmed Cloverfield. Of course, chances are it won't be as good as the original, so I recommend seeing the original first before the remake hits theaters to get a better experience out of it (although it won't be for a while). The trailer for the original flick is below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment